Traditional Greek Coconut Bougatsa pie with Filosophy Filo pastry sheets
Bougatsa is the traditional pie of Thessaloniki with sweet cream, cheese, minced meat, spinach. Chef uses every other option, the Coconut Bougatsa that you can serve it like a dessert! Follow Chef’s instructions and enjoy a signature recipe.
- 1 Liter of Coconut milk
- Coconut betel 40gr.
- Fine semolina 130gr.
- Brown sugar 20gr.
- 1/4 teaspoon Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sweet Vanilla
- 40gr Cow butter
- 8-10 Filosophy Filo pastry sheets *
- Cow Butter (Melted) Powdered
- Powdered Sugar
Why use frozen Filosophy?
You save time since you do not need to make the filo yourself. Filosophy has taken care of offering you traditionally kneaded filo, made from the best ingredients. Also, your kitchen doesn't need to get messy either. How convenient!
- You can easily find Filosophy in the supermarkets or order it online.
- On the package there is a detailed nutrition chart to inform you about the filo's calories and nutrients.
- It is economical!
- Prepare the cream. Put coconut milk, semolina, sugar and salt in the pot. Let them heat over medium heat, carefully. When the ingredients start boiling, beautiful aromas will be spread in the whole house.
- Stir the cream constantly and let it simmer for 6-8 minutes, until it thickens and become velvety. Then remove from the heat, add the vanilla, butter and mix. Let the cream cool for about 10 minutes.
- Grease a rectangular or square pan with butter using a brush so it will be ready to meet soon the delicious Filosophy puff pastry.
- Butter each sheet of Filosophy Filo pastry sheets well and spread them lengthwise and widthwise. We will need 4-5 sheets for the bougatsa’s bottom.
- After we have finished with the spreading of the leaves, then we place the cream evenly and cover it from above with the remaining 4-5 leaves, which we have buttered in the same way as we did on the leaves of the base. If there are too many, cut them and then fold the edges so you can have crispy edges.
- Bake the bougatsa in a well preheated oven at 180°C in the air, for about 55 minutes until the sheet swells and turns brown.
- Leave it to cool a bit, cut it into pieces and serve it with icing and cinnamon, in a traditional way or with icing and chocolate praline so you can taste something different.